It seems as if there is never enough time in the day to get everything done on your list. Whether it’s simply paying bills or finishing up a project at work, things somehow rarely go according to plan and issues tend to pop up along the way. Being efficient with your time and getting things done faster are key to being able to manage all of the professional and personal things that fill up your to do list.
I am always looking for tools or methods that help me get things done faster. Whether that means automating a task or devising a completely new way to accomplish something, there are many different ways to get things done in a shorter amount of time.
Here are our Top 10 tips on how to get things done faster and enjoy the things in life that you are truly passionate about. Because let’s face it, our careers do not define us and having a life outside the office gives us a much needed balance to stay driven and focused for the long term.
- Automate whenever possible. Whether it’s something like bill pay, using a DVR or email auto-responders for your business, automating activities that are ongoing will help free up your time for things that require a bit more brain capacity.
- Use Productivity Apps that sync with all of your devices. Some examples could be apps like Wunderlist, Evernote, Cloud App and Instapaper. The key is having these apps on all of your devices and sync’d so that no matter if you have your tablet, laptop or just your cell phone you can access them at anytime.
- Use sites that aggregate content. Sites like Kayak.com are wonderful because Kayak aggregates information from travel sites like Expedia and Hotwire but also from airlines directly as well. So instead of having to visit 5-10 different sites to compare pricing, flight times, connecting flights and so forth you can simply use Kayak.com to compare side by side in a matter of seconds. When shopping for apparel and shoes online use Shopstyle.com which aggregates products from hundreds to thousands of retailers and boutiques all in one place.
- Delegate. As much as some of us hate to relinquish control over things at times delegating is a life saver. Repetitive, simple and tedious tasks can often get in the way of getting more complicated and important things done. If you manage others delegating out tasks and responsibilities can help you stay focused on the things that matter most for your business or career objectives.
- Use a Virtual Assistant (VA) service. Sites like Vworker.com help you find assistants to help you manage your tasks and schedule. If you are a busy executive or run your own business then having a VA is vital to ensuring things are running smoothly and that the little things are getting done.
- Rely on Experts. Have you ever felt like you know enough about a subject matter to get a project started but then suddenly stall because you don’t have enough expertise to problem solve or move forward with a clear directive? Why not rely on experts for projects or ventures that have the scope and size that would be better suited for an expert in a particular field. Sure, costs are always a consideration but when you weigh pros and cons, not to mention the time if will save it’s hard to ignore the option of bringing in experts to do the job.
- Eliminate distractions. This sounds very simple but of course we all know how difficult this can be. So, to really assess what distractions you have at the office or at home take a hard and honest look at what your distractions are and how much time you are wasting because of each one.
- Set boundaries and rules for yourself. This could be things like only checking email twice each day or turning off the cell phone completely when you have a deadline looming on a critical project. Little things to add up and in totality can hinder our ability to accomplish the objectives that are the most important. Ask yourself, do this activity help me towards achieving my goals and tasks for today? If not maybe consider limiting or stopping those activities all together.
- Think in terms of quadrants. Remember Stephen Covey and the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People anyone? Prioritization is something that helps you focus on more urgent and important items and reduce the amount of time you spend on unimportant and non-urgent issues. There are many things that we need to capture in terms of ensuring it gets done but in terms of priority can be downgraded.
- Get enough sleep. It is easy to get caught up in your career or business and neglect things like sleep, exercise and downtime. However, try getting 7 to 8 hours sleep one night and see just how much more productive and more mentally engaged you are the next day. Seriously!
Introducing the Samsung Stratosphere™ , the first full QWERTY keyboard slider on Verizon’s lightning fast 4GLTE network. Learn More here.
“Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Samsung via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Samsung.”