Whether you’re looking to maximize your closet space or avoid spending too much money on shopping throughout the year, the capsule wardrobe is a genius way to build a collection of compatible staples that you can wear in an infinite number of ways. When you build a solid collection of items that mix and match seamlessly, you can make tons of fresh, beautiful outfits without anyone knowing that you’ve worn the piece before!
WHY CREATE A CAPSULE?
If you haven’t considered a capsule wardrobe before, you’re certainly not alone, but there are so many reasons you might want to!
- For those who want to make the most of limited space, a capsule wardrobe is a great way to maximize your wardrobe in a minimalistic way.
- People who are looking to save money would benefit from a capsule collection because they don’t need to worry about creating individual outfits for different occasions.
- If you have trouble getting ready in the morning and want to have a solid batch of go-to’s that you know look great, a capsule wardrobe might be perfect for you.
While a capsule wardrobe might not be the right choice for some people, others find it the perfect solution for all of their wardrobe woes.
WHAT TO ADD TO YOUR CAPSULE
Before you dive right in to adding items to your shopping cart, it’s really helpful to think about the purpose your capsule wardrobe will serve and how it should reflect your personal style. If your capsule is for work in a corporate office, keep in mind that your selections will likely need to be dressier options than what you might include if your days are mostly spent out and about running errands.
Start with Staples: The foundation of your capsule wardrobe is made from clothing staples, the mix-and-match basics that you’ll accessorize later to complete each unique look. A few basic tops, bottoms and easy one-piece outfits–like casual dresses and cute jumpsuits–are a really great place to start!
Add Layering Pieces: When you’ve got your basics down, you can move on to the next step in building your look: additional layering pieces. This is where you consider items like jackets, cardigans, layering turtlenecks and tights. Depending on what (and when) you’re dressing for, your needs may be different.
Finish the Look: Once you know what clothing options you’ll be adding to your collection, it’s time to finish the look with cute shoes and versatile accessories, like simple earrings and necklaces. Purpose and comfort are super important to keep in mind for these pieces!
Source: Lin Xiu Xiu/shutterstock.com
It can be a bit overwhelming to try to figure out what specific items you should add to your capsule wardrobe. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you go about planning your collection:
- Pick a cohesive color palette so that each piece blends with the others in your wardrobe. The ultimate goal is that you can mix and match all the items in your collection and look put together every single time.
- Try to avoid pieces that are super trendy, especially items that aren’t expected to stay in fashion for more than a season. Instead, keep your focus on classic silhouettes that can keep you looking stylish for years to come.
- A capsule wardrobe is an upfront investment that can help your bottom line later on. As you’re planning out the pieces to include, it can be helpful to think about whether it’s worth it to splurge on quality materials that could extend the life of one of your staples.
Most importantly, don’t forget to stay true to your own unique style as you’re building out your capsule wardrobe. While recommendations for what to add are always nice, pick pieces that make you feel most confident!
Source: suriya yapin/shutterstock.com
WHEN TO REFRESH
The whole point of a capsule wardrobe is to invest in timeless staples that will last you through years and years of outfits. If you’ve been able to create a pared-down collection for your closet, keep in mind that there may come a time when one or all of the items in your capsule might need to be refreshed.
Here are a few moments you might want to be on the lookout for:
- If your size has changed and one (or a few) of the pieces in your capsule no longer fits comfortably, it might be time to make some swaps so that you can feel as confident as possible.
- If you notice fabric starting to wear, seams starting to pull or buttons beginning to loosen, repairs or replacements might be necessary.
- If an item that you purchased to be a timeless classic is no longer a reflection of your personal style, it might be time to find a piece that suits you better.
Before you make the decision to completely replace an item, see if there are any ways you can repair it, whether that means fixing a busted seam or tailoring a piece a little bit differently. One of the most amazing parts of creating a capsule wardrobe is that you have a beautiful assortment of compatible pieces, so even if you need to replace one or a few items, they’ll seamlessly blend in with the rest of your collection.
LOOK STUNNING WHILE SAVING
While there’s certainly no requirement to build yourself a capsule wardrobe, once you make the switch, it’s hard to go back. Streamlining your fashion choices while still being able to have a fresh, trendy outfit each day is a true win-win!
Disclosure: This article was written by a guest author.