Dress | Blazer | Necklace | Pumps | Watch
This lovely blue dress from Reiss reminded me of the Stella McCartney’s dress seen on Kate Middleton last year. I love the lace panel detailing to give just a hint of embellishment as well as the lengthy short sleeves to flatter your look.
A black cropped blazer is just the right topper for the dress, and a pair of simple black pumps ties the whole look together. For the finishing touches, I’ve found a similar necklace to Kate’s (stunning Cartier necklace) for far much less at Kohl’s along with an office-chic watch that only looks expensive. I also recommend cinching the dress with a black belt and drape on your favorite scarf for another fun look.
Tights are one of the best transitional wardrobe items a woman can have. As spring temperatures rise and as summer nears, I’m reaching for sheer tights instead of thicker opaque tights. Although bare legs are acceptable at most work places, sheer tights can enhance your work style while providing a touch of warmth. Here I am wearing my new Hanes Lace Thigh High Tights in a nude shade.
(continue reading this article…)
Hi, Do you have any summer ideas for my working wardrobe? I live in South America, it is so hot here. Thanks.
As most of us are enjoying newly colored leaves and cooler temperatures here in North America, there are parts of the world living in the midst of heat right now. Living in a hot climate calls for a certain office attire that is much more ideal for the heat rather than heavy suits that some of us are accustomed to wearing. Here are a few key basics to keep your look feeling cool and polished at work. Oh, and do not skip on your sunscreen!
- Airy Blouse – Breezy, sheer tops are perfect to wear on hot days at the office – just be sure to layer underneath. We favor fluid chiffon or silk blouses. It’s feels like you are wearing almost nothing. Get it in several colors and prints to rotate though the summer.
- Peplum Top – Peplum tops have struck the right chord with us here at WorkChic. The elegant yet flirty shape creates a fabulous work look when worn with pencil skirts or pants. Even sleeveless styles can be quite sophisticated.
- Wedge Sandals – Keep your feet comfortable and breathable without sacrificing style. So no excuse for flip flops or thong sandals. We prefer walkable wedges that lengthen the legs as well.
- Pleated Skirt – Think ventilation! A pleated skirt in an ultra-forgiving silhouette and bright color will give you the summery feel without resorting to short skirts.
- Lightweight Cardigan – Sweltering outdoor temperatures usually mean of course it will be freezing indoors. A light cardigan is not only great for layering for warmth but added modesty as well.
- Sunglasses – This obvious choice as an essential. Add that sassy finishing touch while out & about during lunch and off work functions. The bigger the better in our minds.
We also had a reader from Australia wanting to know where she can shop for low-budget apparel especially dresses. Miller is one of the super affordable shops based out of Australia offering affordable tops, skirts and dresses online to accommodate the local warm weather right now.
Do you have questions or requests regarding workwear? Simply email us here!
Mixing patterns can sometimes seem like an intimidating task, but by following a few simple rules anyone can pull it off.
1) Pick one print or pattern to be the focal point of your outfit.
2) It really does depend on the main print or pattern, but it’s easiest to achieve this look correctly when you stay within the main color range. Note that some prints allow you to wear a loud color while some restrain you.
3) Pair one statement print or pattern with a one subtler, which will help highlight and frame the overall look.
To help demonstrate the right way to mixing refer to the outfit collage above. The striped skirt is the focal point but the sheer polka dot top (similar – promo code DPJULY20) helps this outfit look put together but at the same time is fun and flirty. The tuxedo blazer (similar) gives it more of a professional look and takes away a little bit of femininity, making it more work appropriate. Lastly, the navy slingbacks (similar) are sensible heels and are still within suitable color range and complete the look. Try mixing prints and patterns from your own closet because the results can pleasantly surprise you!
Work attire doesn’t have to scream traditional or bland. Consider unexpected toppers such as this luxe quilted leather jacket that will rev up your basic skirt and top. Leather jackets are a nice change from a typical blazer for its warmth and added edgy appeal. If you want to invest in one item for the colder seasons, consider a leather jacket in a classy and timeless style. Achieve a work-chic look with these lovely accessories – leopard-print tote and T-strap pumps (wear with black tights).